[thelist] Fulltime to freelance

Randal Rust randalrust at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 14:13:39 CST 2008

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 2:52 PM, Paul Bennett <family.bennett at gmail.com> wrote:

> For various reasons, I'm looking to move from fulltime work into freelance
> based work.

This same question came up last week, on the local Adobe User Group
list. It astounded me then, and it will continue to astound me that
someone would consider leaving a fulltime job at this point in time.
Especially if you have benefits.

> I have around 8 years professonal development experience, as well as a
> growing list of freelance clients.

How much you have saved up? Under *normal* economic circumstances, I'd
say that you need at least six months of salary saved up. But I keep
two years on-hand at all times. Just in case something happens, like,
say the world's economy goes into a tailspin and my 401K loses 40% of
its value.

> I support a family consisting of a wife and 3 (soon to be 4!) children, so
> I'd need a base of consistent income

That seems  to indicate that you don't already have a consistent
income. The person that posed this question last week said, *if I can
make...*

Never make decisions about the security of your family based on *if.*

> At this point I'm less concerned about money than I am about
> improving the amount of enjoyment I get from my work and having more
> flexible working arrangements - something most employers where I'm based
> don't provide.

But it's better than now work at all. Right?

I'm not trying to bring you down, but it sounds like you are unhappy
in your current job and think that what you need is happiness.
Happiness doesn't put food on the table for the family.

> Any advice from thelist from anyone who has done this successfully?

Save up and build your client list until you have no choice but to
leave your full time job.

--
Randal Rust
R.Squared Communications