[thelist] Fulltime to freelance

sbeam sbeam at onsetcorps.net
Tue Nov 25 22:50:24 CST 2008

On Tuesday 25 November 2008 20:51, Hassan Schroeder wrote:
> What would lead you to think that "Agile methodology" means you,
> the developer, just make up requirements??

hmm, just this: http://agilemanifesto.org/principles.html
"Welcome changing requirements, even late in development."

and this:
"The core of agile software development is building system features
incrementally.... Agile methods iteratively evolve both requirements and the
system under development by planning the development in short cycles "
http://www.methodsandtools.com/archive/archive.php?id=27p2

"Make it up as you go along" is one phrase that does come to mind. Hey, I
would LOVE to work that way, all the time, who wouldn't? And I do - on
personal/FOSS projects. But how to you profitably do a fixed-bid project
based on that?

Seems to me in order to get the job you need to quote it, so you need to
estimate hours, so you need to define requirements -- and I would be
eternally grateful for a way out of this chain of logic, so that's why I
asked.

Sorry if this all is OT, I didn't think it was but it is now:

<tip type="javascript">
The JQuery Media Plugin is a great way of unobtrusively embedding rich media
(SWF, FLV, WMV, RA, Silverlight and many more), with no extra markup. And it
could not be any faster to implement.
http://www.malsup.com/jquery/media/
</tip>

Sam