[thelist] Fulltime to freelance

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 12:29:23 CST 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 8:50 PM, sbeam <sbeam at onsetcorps.net> wrote:

>> What would lead you to think that "Agile methodology" means you,
>> the developer, just make up requirements??
>
> hmm, just this: http://agilemanifesto.org/principles.html
> "Welcome changing requirements, even late in development."

> "Make it up as you go along" is one phrase that does come to mind.

Perhaps you missed the principle two lines down:

  "Business people and developers must work
   together daily throughout the project."

It's the "business people" -- end users or their representative(s) --
that define use cases, scenarios, feature requirements, NOT the
developer(s).

> But how to you profitably do a fixed-bid project based on that?

I didn't say anything about doing this on a fixed-bid basis, though I
can imagine doing so under some circumstances -- having a good
understanding of the high-level project objectives and the client's
business and a responsive client.

Actually that's the hardest thing: getting the client to commit the
resources to continuous interaction.

> Sorry if this all is OT, I didn't think it was but it is now:

I don't think discussing development processes is OT to the list's
purpose, though this thread should probably be restarted under a
new title. :-)

Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com