[thelist] Domain Name Search API

Fred Jones fredthejonester at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 09:33:31 CST 2008

I need to make a script which will search for the existence of a
domain name. I actually want to be able to search for possible domain
names or ideally with wildcards. What I mean is that if I have as data

HORSEHOUSES

I would like to be able to run a search and retrieve any and all
domains which share 5 consecutive letters as my search text--the 5
characters can be anywhere in my data or in the domain name. Thus I
would want to see results like:

HORSE.COM
HOUSE.COM
XXHORSE.COM
HORSEXX.COM
XXHOUSEXX.COM

I can see from Google of course that several domain name registrars
offer APIs. I am asking here if anyone can recommend one. I don't
actually want to purchase any domain names--I just want to discover
the existence of matching domain names.

I hope this is basically clear.

Any suggestions?