[thelist] Fulltime to freelance

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sat Nov 29 05:47:24 CST 2008

On 26 Nov 2008, at 04:50, sbeam wrote:

> "Make it up as you go along" is one phrase that does come to mind.
> Hey, I
> would LOVE to work that way, all the time, who wouldn't?

Which you can, provided you're able to think with the mind of the
business; if you absolutely and intuitively understand their higher
needs.

But I've known too many developers (but by no means all!) who see
Agile as an opportunity to return to immaturity:
*) No requirements in advance means *I* can make it up as I go along
*) No plan in advance means no deadlines I have to care about
*) No design in advance means I don't have to produce any
documentation. Pure code is the best documentation anyway.
etc
etc

Which might be all well and good for producing a system under
uncertainty in a rapid timescale. But no damned good for anyone who
has to come along and work with it later. Including later efforts to
build on it, and anyone who has to support it.

Cheers
Martin