[thelist] Fulltime to freelance

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 12:48:50 CST 2008

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 6:41 AM, Martin Burns <martin at easyweb.co.uk> wrote:
> Often the other way round: cost and schedule are fixed, but scope
> varies.
>
> Or, to put it another way: we'll get as much done as we can from the
> prioritised list - the more in-flight change involved, the more likely
> low-priorities are to drop off the end.

Makes sense, but I still have a hard time reconciling that with how a
large project would work. I see how it would work with a small
web-based system that only has a web layer, and app layer, and a data
layer and no external interfaces, but anything more complex like
that... it's difficult to see a way that such a high amount of change
would result in anything workable in the end.

In fact, some of the scope mgmt I do is more to keep the client from
inadvertently tanking their own project than anything else...

--
Matt Warden
Cincinnati, OH, USA