[thelist] storing user information and allowing them to "finish later" and payment issues

Nan Harbison nan at nanharbison.com
Mon Dec 1 20:17:51 CST 2008

Hi all,

I created a form for our customers to basically store their resume online on
our website. When I first did this for my client, I was told to make about
20 of the items on the form be required, but there is more information than
that. After filling out the form and being prompted if they haven't filled
out required fields, users go to the payment page where they enter credit
card info to pay for our services. Once everything is set, their resumes can
be viewed.

I have two issues now that I just can't seem to wrap my brain around.

One is that now my client wants to make the whole form and the payment
information be on the same page instead of filling out the form and then
getting to the payment page (where they can choose to use their sign up info
to be the same as their billing info).

The second thing is that she also wants users to be able to fill out some of
the form and click on "finish later". Arrgghhhhhh.

What is the best way to let users choose to finish the registration later?
Do I have to check all the fields every time they log in to see if their
resume is complete? Has anyone had to handle something like this before?

About putting the payment info on the same page as the registration page,
who does that? On all websites where I buy stuff, the payment page is a
separate page. Does anyone have a good reason I can give my client on why we
shouldn't do it this way!!!!

TIA,
Nan

 <mailto:nanharbison at gmail.com>