[thelist] nomenclature - site map / web site

Joel D Canfield Joel at CommonsenseEntrepreneur.com
Wed Dec 3 16:43:04 CST 2008

> While we're at it, which of these is proper:

here's a bit of confusion I cleared up in my own head long ago: the
dictionary is not a rule book. it is a snapshot of a moment in the
development of a living thing: language.

spinning from the yarn of the caterpillar in Alice in Wonderland, if I
use a word, and you understand me, that's infinitely more important than
whether or not we used the same punctuation or spelling. The Bard of
Avon spelt his own last name at least 7 different ways.

I would email you about the site map at my website, but if you did
otherwise, I'd listen to what you meant, not what you wrote.

And if a prospective employer, business partner, or spouse took issues
with you hyphenating (or not) your reference to electronic mail, I'd
look elsewhere; they're too uptight.

joel