[thelist] Drupal... what's with the sudden hype?

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 14:31:38 CST 2008

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 11:42 AM, Erika <ekm at seastorm.com> wrote:

>  > my knowledge... this thread has just made me realise that no matter
>  > what I learn in uni.. it'll be superceeded in good time.. :-(

I'd think anything Web-specific that's made its way into a formal
curriculum is probably already close to being obsolete :-)

> In a lot of cases, the way technology moves, you actually need to know
> *less* as time goes by, because all these things you were previously
> doing yourself, are now functional out of the box.

But out-of-the-box functionality offers no point of differentiation;
you always need to be thinking about how to add value beyond
the basics that "anyone" (read: cheapest worker) can provide.
What you need to know keeps changing, but I wouldn't say it's
ever going to be quantitatively 'less'.

> My recommendation would be to find something you believe holds long term
> promise, and that you *love* to do, and become an expert in that area.

Good advice, certainly. But don't get so blinkered on that one area
that you don't see its replacement coming. Investigate, however
briefly, each new technology you run across and think about how
you might use it to your (and your clients') advantage.

Companies fail when they're afraid that innovating will cannibalize
sales of their existing products. Same goes for people and skills...

Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com