[thelist] nomenclature - site map / web site

Hugh Miller hmiller at cfpress.co.uk
Sun Dec 7 05:24:20 CST 2008

Quoting "Shawn K. Quinn" <skquinn at speakeasy.net>:

> I tend to write "e-mail"

Which is something a lot of listers seem to be suggesting. Of all the ones this
is by far the most interesting to me. I spent a lot of years in print. There is
no consistent wording (or really for web[\- ]site for that matter).

How I look at it is the way the phrase is used, when I say 'I'll send you an
email' I don't place emphasis on it, ie. 'I'll send you an 'e' mail', similarly
I say website, not web-site.

But when I was setting a letterhead, no matter how I tried to push them to all
using Email: or email:, if they had a hyphen in their head they would insist.

Ironically a lot of them wanted:

Web: www.mycompany.com

believed to be clean.