[thelist] page width trend - 800 or 1024 or other?

Mark Groen evolt at markgroen.com
Wed Dec 10 14:39:23 CST 2008

On Wednesday 10 December 2008 08:34:47 Bob Meetin wrote:
> Is the current trend towards remaining somewhat conservative and sticking
> with designing for 800x600 or more liberally 1024x768 monitors?
>
> I'm personally not partial to horizontal scrolling, so when I develop a
> fixed width site I have held conservative. Is that becoming ancient
> history?

Not so much, have been working on a site for a large accounting firm lately
and they still want/need 800px max for some of their clients. However, for
most things have been making widths approx. 920px to accommodate the gadgets
people keep on their desktop now a days.

I recently went through the Apple dev site, and for better scaling for iPhone
and related devices a meta tag is advisable:

--
cheers,

	ark