[thelist] page width trend - 800 or 1024 or other?

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Thu Dec 11 08:35:14 CST 2008

On 2008/12/10 09:34 (GMT-0700) Bob Meetin composed:

> Is the current trend towards remaining somewhat conservative and sticking with designing for 800x600 or more liberally 1024x768 monitors?

> I'm personally not partial to horizontal scrolling, so when I develop a fixed width site I have held conservative. Is that becoming ancient history?

Fixed width is for paper: px fixed width for screen media should be history.
800 & 1024 resolutions are going dodo. For laptops & desktops, higher
resolutions are virtually the only things in stores any more, and other
resolutions apply to various other devices. Worse, not only is there more
resolution scatter, up to 2560 wide so far, but those resolutions are native
on LCD panels (choosing higher impossible, choosing lower producing inferior
quality), and scattered among sizes. e.g. 1920x1200 is found on screens
ranging from 15.4" laptops to 26" desktops. Widths, and text size, on modern
pages should be set entirely without regard to px.
http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/bbcSS.html
--
"Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor
in vain."			Psalm 127:1 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/