[thelist] Scaling text

Martyn Sales at medes.net
Fri Dec 12 10:10:34 CST 2008

Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:
> Martyn wrote:
>
>> I am converting my website from fixed width 800px, it was all going well
>> until I edited the Nav bar, I have formatted all the text in ems.
>>
>> I obviously I don't want the Nav bar to wrap down with smaller viewports
>> and I have used Nowrap, but this just goes off screen.
>>

> Is it really true that you would want tiny text instead of wrapping
> navigation on a very narrow viewport?

The minimum my site has ever been viewed at is 640 as far as I can, tell
obviously I don't know the monitor size this was viewed on if the
navigation wraps it looks terrible the site is currently built as 800
(www.medes.org.uk) but I dislike the large white areas at the sides when
viewed at higher resolutions.

>> Is there anyway to scale text to the viewport size as with images. I
>> have created all the divs as 100% etc.
>>

> Basically no - not with pure CSS 2.1 anyhow.

You seem to suggest there is a current way outside CSS 2.1? did you mean
CSS 3

Cheers

Martyn