[thelist] Using <object> for java applet

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Tue Dec 16 00:49:43 CST 2008

I'm working on a page that uses this file upload applet:

    http://www.javaatwork.com/java-upload-applet/install.html

But the page is xhtml and I believe I should be using <object>.
I'm finding sometimes the applet (using the <applet> tag) will load
in Firefox but not in IE.

I'm curious is this is the current recommended approach to include a
java applet:

    http://ww2.cs.fsu.edu/~steele/XHTML/appletObject.html

Specifically, the "XHTML (using object tag)" shown at the bottom.

Also, you might note that the <apple> example from the first link
has a "codebase" and then relative archives:

    archive="myuploader-free-signed-v161.jar, labels.jar"

What I'm doing instead is using *not* using the codebase and instead
using full urls for the two jar files.  Can I do that also with
<object>?

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley