[thelist] need some software recommendations

Jeremy Weiss eccentric.one at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 13:12:15 CST 2008

On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 1:03 PM, Hassan Schroeder <
hassan.schroeder at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Client is a web dev company I contract for. They want me to analyse the
> > MySQL log files for the previous year in an attempt determine what sort
> of
> > load was placed on the server to help them decide how many more sites
> they
> > can place on that box, and whether they need to move MySQL to it's own
> box
> > or not.
>
> Off the top of my head, I don't see anything remotely relevant to the
> system's performance in the MySQL logs. Even the slow query log
> entries most likely reflect indexing and query optimization issues, in
> my experience.
>
> I'd be interested in hearing more about your approach.

My approach isn't very interesting. Client thinks that the numbers in those
log files hold the key to being able to tell how much of a load was placed
on the server. After failing to convince him otherwise, I've embarked on the
task of getting him those numbers. Then, when the reality that the stats are
pretty much useless sets in, I'll say 'I told you so' and do a little dance.
:)

-jeremy