[thelist] hours based access for web content

Viggie Bala viggie at viggie.com
Mon Dec 29 02:05:00 CST 2008

Hi all,

One of my regular client have a new requirement.  He wanted to allow a
part of his website - his research data - on subscription, which is
fine.  But his preference is to allow access on hours basis instead of
days or months.  He is looking to collect micro payments (say $2 for 1
hour) instead of targeting normal charges in these difficult times.

I'm at a loss to find a solution that keeps track of time based access &
restrict/logout when the time expires.  I vaguely remember about time
based quizzes which allows 3 minutes to answer a question, but those
quizzes were done in java.  I'm not sure whether this will work for a
section of website.  The website runs in php and mysql.

Any directions & suggestions on how to allow access on time basis are
greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Viggie