[thelist] how to preview a tiled image in photoshop

Mustafa Quilon mustafavizcomrade at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 23:41:27 CST 2009

2009/1/20 Sarah Adams <sarahwbs at gmail.com>:
> Googling for what I need here is only finding me tutorials on creating a
> tiling background. I already have an image that will tile just fine,
> what I want to do is preview the image as if it was tiled, e.g. for a
> web page background. Does anyone know of a plugin or something that will
> make this possible?

Whenever I'm working with tiling images, I always wonder if there was
a better way to preview than the "Layer -> New Fill Layer -> Pattern"
in Photoshop.

Maybe there is one available, however Searching has not helped. If
not, then I would love to see a Bookmarklet for this purpose.

For example:
Click  -> Browse or define a drop-down of patterns to test which
works/looks the best.

The bookmarklet would be of great use to those who design in CSS. Like
targeting an "id" or selector and changing its background on the fly.

Maybe, an offline tool can do a lot more than a favlet.

However, right now the best method I know of, is to define all your
patterns, organize them into sets and test using the above "new fill
pattern method".

- Mustafa