[thelist] Asking for email address twice

Jack Timmons jorachim at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 13:10:58 CST 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org> wrote:

> Is anyone aware of any studies that indicate that asking for a user's
> email address twice ("Email:", "Confirm Email:") actually results in
> more accurate email addresses?
>
> Normally, I ask for it once and then send mail to that email address
> to confirm it (and include a link to confirm/complete the registration
> process, for example).

I would say that it inherently prevent from typos unless they do it twice in
a row, in which case it's their own fault.

My question would be whether or not your typical confirmation pages are
helpful, since most are structured in a format that doesn't get people to
actually confirm the information. I'm only sort of doing so with my current
website, namely because the producers are more concerned that it get done on
time.

--
-Jack Timmons
http://www.trotlc.com