[thelist] Asking for email address twice

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Wed Jan 21 15:41:14 CST 2009

Matt Warden noted:

>>I'm not saying it doesn't work in identifying typos. It does.
>>I'm just saying it's a pointless exercise.

+1!  Hear, hear!

Hi Matt,

I would also argue against the checks for 'well-formedness'. Especially after looking at and playing with some of the examples in section 3 of rfc 3696:  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3696#section-3

If having a working email address is important to you, then send the user an email that they need to respond to for verification.  Who cares how many dots they use (they don't cost all that much!) or what whacky extended characters they are using to 'track' whether you have sold their email address?

As a pet peeve, I would add a lemma to the above and suggests that if having a working email address is important to you, then (a) give users an 'easy' way to change their email address in the future if they want to.

Thanks!
RonL.

[Please note that (a) implies (b) ... don't make email address the primary key in your valid user table.]