[thelist] Website speed smart practices (was gzip and far future expires header )

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Wed Feb 4 20:38:15 CST 2009

Hi Bob,

Bob Meetin wrote:
> Well there have been a couple more interesting developments with the
> website speed thread.  My website is hosted in a common shared hosting
> arrangement [...]
> To switch to a dedicated server the cost would climbs to about $175/month.

FYI: evolt is hosted on a $69/month dedicated server (at
www.theplanet.com). Of course that price buys you an extremely low-end
machine but we do have it all to ourselves.

We even recently took advantage of a sale they were running
[https://www.theplanet.com/servers/outlet.aspx] and "traded down" to a
$53/month server with similar specs.

Both machines were 1.7ghz Celerons with an 80Gig drive, a gig of ram and
    more terabytes of bandwidth per month than we'll probably ever need
:-) and The Planet's network performance has always been very reliable.

Hope this helps!

-dave