[thelist] Styling in-line elements

Jack Timmons jorachim at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 11:38:01 CDT 2009

I wanted to open up a little discussion regarding styling in-line elements
(namely, labels) with attributes that give it block-level layout.

Recently I talked with my team regarding not putting positional styling on
in-line elements, being that in-line elements are supposed to remain as
such. After a bit of discussion today, they told me they felt that in-line
elements should be allowed to be positioned as needed, simply to remove the
need of additional divs. While I can understand that side of the argument,
the standardista inside of me screams in-line should remain in-line.

Sooooo, I wanted to find out what other members of Evolt do or think, namely
because I think I'm putting too much importance (in my own head) on a small
matter, but also to see what a consensus is.

I'm also going on the premise that you don't label an entire paragraph if
the text isn't the label for the element. In this case, all the text in the
paragraph is part of the label, with the input element following. Perhaps
the input element can be wrapped as its own paragraph, but then again I
don't believe that would be correct or semantic HTML.

Thanks for any responses ahead of time.

--
-Jack Timmons
http://www.trotlc.com