[thelist] Styling in-line elements

Barney Carroll barney.carroll at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 13:01:04 CDT 2009

For me the definition of inline is an object that follows the flow of text —
meaning that it can break up text nodes. I can think of a few situations
where you might want to have a system of blocks taken out of an inline
context [ <p>I'd have to tell you to check it out on ALA.* <span
class="footnote"><a href="http://alistapart.com">A List Apart — for people
.footnote{display:none;position:absolute;bottom:0;} p:hover
.footnote{display:block} ] … but if you're sticking inside the flow, you're
more than likely going to screw up your text.
Mate of mine recently told me he didn't bother with float: and just made
everything display:inline. I just kept my eyes firmly fixed on him and
slowly backed out of the room…

Regards,
Barney Carroll
Web designer & front-end developer