[thelist] Styling in-line elements

Jack Timmons jorachim at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 14:08:23 CDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Barney Carroll <barney.carroll at gmail.com>wrote:

> Eek. Yeah. But you don't want a label in flowing prose. You might be able
> argue that a label itself can contain flowing text, but vice-versa sounds
> like madness to me.

Do you mean flowing text containing a label equals madness?

"Now, if you would just please supply us with a <label>password</label>:"
"Great! All we need is a <label>username</label> to make sure we have a nice
way to identify you."

I may be getting your statement wrong, though.

> An inline set of form elements sounds horrible to me. Forms are notoriously
> hard to typeset and their individual components should be very carefully
> laid out. Every label and input is a block for me, especially because
> vertical padding is so important — you can't rely on simple line-height
> when
> you're dealing with something that has edges.

Which is why I suggested the wrapping in a div previously. HTML specifies
input and labels as inline, so I feel like I'm subverting the specification
by styling it block level.

> No, but he'd still make a pretty good X-File.

Ah, one of those. *has plenty of them*

--
-Jack Timmons
http://www.trotlc.com