[thelist] What's a Programmer To Do?

Raoul Snyman raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
Sat Apr 4 10:43:56 CDT 2009

Hi Fred,

On Wednesday 01 April 2009 15:22:44 Fred Jones wrote:
> Anyway, I'm just wondering what people think--I *may* be ready for a
> change. :)

I've recently dumped PHP for Python. Python is just so much easier, faster,
cleaner, and generally nicer than PHP, not to mention it's properly object
orientated. I'm loving Python!

I taught myself Python by essentially diving in the deep end and writing a
project management system in a Python MVC framework called Pylons. You've used
CakePHP, so getting to know Pylons should be fairly easy for you.

So, if you're wanting to get back into "proper" programming, I strongly
recommend you have a look at Python and Pylons.

Some Python links:
- Byte of Python Tutorial: www.byteofpython.info
- Think Python: http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/thinkpython.html
- Pylons: http://pylonshq.com/
- SQLAlchemy: http://sqlalchemy.org/

--
Raoul Snyman, B.Tech IT (Software Engineering)
Saturn Laboratories
e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
w: www.saturnlaboratories.co.za
b: blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za