[thelist] Options for a dynamic menu

Todd Richards todd at promisingsites.com
Mon Apr 6 17:40:38 CDT 2009

Hi Everyone -

I have an ASP classic website that was just moved over to a Windows 2008
server running MS SQL 2008.  The site has a "library" where the CSS tree
menu is pulled from a database.  It's seldom updated, so I hate that there
has to be a query hit every time someone goes to the site.  I switched it to
a static menu, where I make the change when they make changes to the
categories/order.  However, this is a PITA as well.

My thought - which I need feedback and ideas on - is to have a "Rebuild
Menu" button on the page where they manage the categories.  After they make
changes, they "build" the new menu, which then writes out the menu to a file
which is included in the ASP page via server side includes.  Just not sure
what all I need to consider when doing this, or what the best next step is.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Todd