[thelist] php/mysql - inserting duplicate content

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Fri Apr 10 13:03:34 CDT 2009

I wrote a script to import content from a .csv file (tab delimited) into
the Joomla-Virtuemart shipping_rate table.  I have it set to read the
contents of the .csv file, then line by line if a line meets a test run
the mysql query.  The problem I have encountered is that it is running
the query twice and I'm ending up with duplicate rows for every row in
the .csv file.

If I add an echo statement I don't see the duplicate entry echoing
back.  If I echo back the query and copy/paste at the mysql prompt it
behaves, of course, only a single entry.

So, is there something about the while loop that is messed up?

<?php

$file = "shipping.csv";
$fp = fopen("$file", "r");

while (!feof($fp))
{
  $line = fgets($fp, 4096);

  $columns = explode("  ", $line);
  $c0 = trim($columns[0]);
  $c1 ...
  $c2 ...

  if ( $c0 == "yes" )
  {
    $query = "some query";
    $result = mysql_query( $query );
    echo "Q: $query<br />R: $result<br />";
  }
}

?>

--
Bob Meetin
www.dottedi.biz

On www.Twitter.com/bobmeetin, Facebook, www.linkedin.com/in/bobmeetin, or catch my blog at www.dottedi.biz/blog.php

Standards - you gotta love em - with so many to choose from!