[thelist] UI libraries

Eduardo Kienetz eduardok at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 17:56:59 CDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 7:53 PM, Judah McAuley <judah at wiredotter.com> wrote:

> I think it depends on what type of development you are looking to do.
> YUI has a nice pedigree to it but I find it a bit clunky. It is a well
> put together project though and an Evolter (Christian Heilmann) works
> on it last I heard.

Well, I'm gonna rewrite an old web application (now in PHP), and one of the
reasons to the rewrite is to improve the UI. I wasn't planning on using 2 JS
libraries, but maybe I'll see how that works. Perhaps I could have wrapper
functions so I could easily switch from one JS library to the other too,
thus being able to measure performance, etc.

> JQuery really rocks the house for pure utility. It is light weight and
> great for programmable front end work. If you are looking at eye candy
> interface stuff, JQuery UI is pretty decent and coming along nicely.
> It doesn't have all the controls that some other frameworks do but the
> theme roller is great, so if you are looking at a multi-design site,
> JQuery UI is the way to go IMHO.

Yeah, I'll definitely use JQuery, but I didn't know of JQuery UI, that's
nice!

> Ext is a great framework for more desktop look and feel apps. More
> limited design options but a very solid OO approach to JS and well
> programmed. A dual license model, however, that would require a
> relatively inexpensive license for some commercial projects.

No kidding, very nice. They even have Ext core available under MIT license
(to start off), then when I'm ready I could jump to Ext GWT.

I'm done analyzing JS libraries.

Thanks Judah.

--
Eduardo Bacchi Kienetz