[thelist] Developing on OSX

Fred Jones fredthejonester at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 07:20:20 CDT 2009

Thanks everyone for the advice. To share my experience thus far:

MAMP is great. :)

Darwine works for at least one app that I still want to use (for now).
IEs4Mac doesn't work, but that's OK.

VirtualBox doesn't work (I don't have Quartz Extreme / Core Image
apparently) which was almost a showstopper. BUT:

VMWare Fusion works! I had to disable 3D video and it's sort of slow,
but it works fine and I only really need it to test IE.

I switched Command and Control keys so that it feels more like I'm
used to (like Ctrl CXVZ etc.)

I will stick with jEdit for now b/c I know it and it's cross-platform. :)

Fonts are *much* smaller than Windows or Linux on this same hardware
(that should not imply that I am using some sort of illegal OSx86
install b/c certainly that couldn't be condoned, right? If anyone is
interested in what I *am* indeed using, contact me offline and I can
discuss that) and that's the one drawback thus far. Well also the old
complaint that no focus follows mouse or autoraise feature exists. But
I may try an app to fix that.

In the meantime, I am up and running. Now to get back to work. :)

Thanks!

One more tip:

<tip type="Debugging Drupal with MacGDBp">
http://www.trellon.com/content/blog/debugging-drupal-macgdbp
</tip>