[thelist] getting visitor's local time or time zone

Lee Kowalkowski lee.kowalkowski at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 30 16:13:29 CDT 2009

2009/4/30 Joel D Canfield <Joel at bizba6.com>:
> I make these assumptions about time and dates and computers, so I'm
> probably completely wrong, but I had assumed that, even in the safe
> sandbox of a browser, the website would know where I was (based, of
> course, just on IP address since that's likely all it knows, and is of
> course not entirely accurate itself) and could determine all the above.

I know nothing about IP.Board (or any other forum software).  If you
can customise it at all, I wonder if you can for instance output GMT
and use JavaScript to offset all the dates according to new
Date().getTimezoneOffset().  Using a microformat for your timestamps
would be useful there.

> where's the flaw in my reasoning, and, probably more important, how can
> I explain this to my client so he gets that it's a technical issue we
> can't resolve, not a flaw with the forum?

Or would they just prefer the default timezone to be a different
timezone (i.e. theirs)?

--
Lee