[thelist] Help with CSS vertical alignment of menu items

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Sun May 3 09:44:56 CDT 2009

On Sat, May 02, 2009 at 11:04:34PM -0700, Will wrote:
> On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 7:28 AM, Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org> wrote:
> > To make the entire height of the <li> click-able I have used "display:
> > inline-block".  I initially used just "display: block" but that did
> > not work in IE6.
> >
> > But "inline-block" is not supported in FF2 (not that anyone still uses
> > it).  Should I just use both?
>
> If you set the anchors to display: block and float them as well you
> should be all set.

Does that makes sense?  I've got an <li> with a solitary <a> child element.
Why does floating make that work?

I kind of thought using inline-block made sense (for IE) since it seems to be
specific for elements that are normally inline (although simply display: block
seems pretty explicit).

CSS still seems to be very much in the "art" phase.

> I think this is pretty much the best article on font sizes on the web:
> http://www.alistapart.com/articles/howtosizetextincss

Thanks.  I've read that before and again just now.  I tend to avoid px
measurements for the reasons explained, and also because I know from my own
machines that the size of a pixel can vary quite a bit based on dpi.

Where I'm less sure is for a case like this where I have a background image of
a specific height (in pixels, of course) where the text should size with the
background..  Luckily, modern browsers are now zooming both text and graphics
together.  (And I have played with sizing images in relative units, too.)

>From my aging parents I know how hard it is for them to use the web designed by
all those young eyes.

In the version using em's <http://hank.org/banner/index2.html> I know it is
more accessible, but at a point the menu will break badly.  For the px-sized
version I know some people won't be able to read it.  Not too long ago I had
this debate on a site with an older demographic and we decided to use em's and
create the menu in a table to allow resizing w/o breaking the layout.

Again, this may be moot with zooming features of modern browsers, and I wonder
with zooming available if, in the end, pixels may not be the correct choice.
Designers get their pixel-perfect layout and end users just zoom to actually be
able to read the damn thing. ;)

--
Bill Moseley.
moseley at hank.org