[thelist] off site server backup options

Jeremy Weiss eccentric.one at gmail.com
Tue May 12 12:49:09 CDT 2009

The owner of one of the web design companies I contract with called
wanting to know what some options were for backing up all the sites
they host. Currently they have ~600 sites spread across 20+ servers at
Pair. Pair does their own backups of course but what my client is
wanting is something off site. For years he's just had an ftp program
scheduled to log in and download complete backups of the sites weekly.
But the number of sites has grown to the point to where that's just
not as effective as it once was.

My thought was to get a dedicated box or two at another hosting
company and set up some sort of cron job. But he's wanting something
that does incremental backups as well.

I use EVault to back up my own server, and it supports incremental
backups. But it requires a program be installed on the server that's
being backed up, which isn't an option in this case, unfortunately.

So, I'm a bit out of ideas and could use some pointers from the great
ones who have gone before.

Thanks,
Jeremy