[thelist] how do you manage/respond?

Jack Timmons jorachim at gmail.com
Sat May 30 08:25:00 CDT 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Bob Meetin <bobm at dottedi.biz> wrote:
> If as in this particular case you are assigned to work with someone
> whose job is to populate the cart (not the financially responsible
> party) who does not care nor understand the requirement process, all
> that you will hear is, "Why can't you do this? This program is
> inadequate, is dumb, you baffoon!"
>
> What I am looking for is the business and perhaps politically correct
> way of managing this type of situation moving forward.

There's only one way of handling this situation, at least to me. Let
me don the shoes of exampleability (heh heh, heh heh).

If my client had hired someone to do data entry, and they kept
complaining to me that I should be doing it, then I would have a talk
with both in the same room and have the person doing the b****ing
explain themselves. As a professional, I do -not- have to put up with
that behavior from any of the client's employees/contractors, and will
terminate the contract of it continues, even if there isn't one
written.

It doesn't count like an issue with the client, but just that the
client's employees are annoying at best. The only way you'll get past
it is to speak with the person who controls the project and get it
settled. Or, you could speak with the person doing the complaining,
but I'd assume they wouldn't have the decency to listen. Or, you can
just push through, grit your teeth and ignore them. But, then the
experience just gets crappier and crappier for you.

Personally, I prefer the first situation, but that goes back to my
statement about myself in my first email, and that I enjoy being the
guy that people don't have to question how I feel about them, since
I'll tell them whether good or bad.

--
-Jack Timmons
http://www.trotlc.com