[thelist] how do you manage/respond?

Todd Richards todd at promisingsites.com
Sat May 30 14:02:47 CDT 2009

I completely agree with what Joel said below about simply having a clear and
open conversation.

I, like others, do what I can to service the clients that I work for.  I
simply ask them that if they can deliver what I need when I need it, then I
will do what I can to deliver what they need when they need it.  So it's
kind of a two way street that we both have to help pave.  Some have asked me
to bend over backwards to get something out, which I have done.  Then there
have been times when they have stumbled and didn't get me something when I
needed it.  If I can do it, I make sure they know that "fortunately I was
between projects or this would have had to wait".  Otherwise I let them know
that now, it might be a week or two before I can get to it.  I will still
try to deliver sooner than that, but I want them to know that the world
doesn't revolve around them (even though some months it might!), yet when I
deliver I want them to be able to tell others that I "really take care of
them" - which many have done (and why most of my business has come from word
of mouth).

When I've been waiting on content in the past (or any action that the client
has been dragging their feet on), or THINK that I may end up waiting, one of
the things that's worked well for me is a quick note to let them know that
there are other projects that I have in the pipeline that people are waiting
on, but since I put you (client) first, I want to give you all my attention
while I can.  If this timeframe isn't going to work for you, then we need to
settle on what is done thus far and figure out when it's convenient for both
of us to get back to work to wrap this up.  In the meantime, I will go ahead
with my next project.  It's amazing how quick they can suddenly make time
for you.

For what it's worth, the above has helped me turn clients down that I didn't
see as a good fit.  "I'd like to do this project, but it would be xx months
before I can get it, and I can tell you need it done sooner."

Todd