[thelist] when 100% is too wide

David Laakso david at chelseacreekstudio.com
Wed Jun 3 22:06:21 CDT 2009

Joel D Canfield wrote:
> This page currently has the nav and footer set to funky percentages,
> just 'cause I couldn't stand looking at it broken.
>
>     http://bizba6.com/ezeeye/Adams/

1/ Allow the right column to be a fixed width, the height of the page
proper, to be determined by its content, and you've got an easy-out to
your little problem-- if you follow the 2-col tutorial, here...
<http://www.alistapart.com/articles/negativemargins/>.

2/ Take it a step further, and use percent widths for both columns, with
primary content first in source order, the height of the page proper, to
be determined by its content, provide compensation for the faux column
at any window width, and this layout
<http://blog.html.it/layoutgala/LayoutGala30.html> (less the #extra
column) might do the trick.

3/ Carry it even further, and use percent widths for both columns, with
primary content first in source order, any column tallest using CSS
(rather than a faux (image),  the height of the page proper, to be
determined by its content,  and playing around with a 2-col version of
this concept
<http://fu2k.org/alex/css/onetruelayout/example/interactive> may be
worthwhile pursuing...

4/ Or, go for broke, wrap your head, and ours, around a 2-col "companion
column layout" <http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/companions.html> and
columns will be of equal height, and the footer will be where you want
it, regardless of the users browser of choice.

As for myself, I'd keep it simple. Number 1/ above will do.

Best,
~d