[thelist] object relational mapping

Jeremy Weiss eccentric.one at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 12:29:03 CDT 2009

On a recent project I was met a programmer who seems have to worked in some
decent size shops in the past. As we talked about various methodologies and
frameworks and such, he kept bringing up ORM. I didn't have a clue what it
was so I started looking into it. Now, the guy who was telling me about it,
makes it seem like a good ORM can basically solve all the world's problems
in short order. Before I spend more time looking into it I wanted to see
what other people's thoughts are on ORM in general and the Doctrine ORM for
PHP in specific.

So, oh wise and all knowing oracle that is Evolt, is ORM the cat's meow,
just another tool that fits in some places but not others, or something else
altogether?

thanks.

-jeremy