[thelist] Computerized Automatic Phone Answering

Fred Jones fredthejonester at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 09:42:10 CDT 2009

> I think it's a reasonable amount of time if:
> 1) It's all that you're working on during that time.
> 2) You've pre-read the necessary documents and have a plan or list of
> tasks

OK, thanks.

> I'd allow the most time for the AGI development and making
> sure you have a good understanding of the Priorities in the dialplan.

OK

> The basic script seems easy enough conceptually:
> 1) Answer the line
> 2) Ask the caller to input an order number
> 3) Query the database for the status
> 4) Play audio file with status
> 5) Hang up

Right--seems like childs play actually. I'm sure it will only take 3
hours to actually get that little script to talk to Askterisk however.
lol.

> Installing the base system isn't difficult if you go with something like
> Debian or Ubuntu.  Then installing a working asterisk system can be as
> easy as apt-get install asterisk.

I saw that Debian has an Asterisk package. Even without that, it
doesn't seem too hard to compile. But anyway I'm not opposed to
Debian. :)

> The only thing that might cause you a
> problem is running the Asterisk box as a VM.  I have no idea if that
> would work with the Digium card on the host machine or not.  In theory
> it should, but <shrugs>.

Right. There are hints on the web that it could work:
http://www.virtualbox.de/ticket/1720 Here
http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?p=29430&sid=e240b75f4a8fd7ec34cd04ef160f99c3
somebody is more negative, but I would imagine that a dedicated
machine should have good quality. I would think so anyhow. :)

Thanks.