[thelist] Help with Social Network/Community Functionality

Barney Carroll barney.carroll at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 23:46:10 CDT 2009

Hi Randal,

For me this would have to be one of two things:

a) Drupal [http://drupal.org]
I'm very cynical of Drupal as CMS for most applications but I think it could
be very useful here: custom content types (recipes), user histories and user
browsing are some of the things that are very quick and easy to get out of
Drupal. It's also very easy to customise lists of "recently commented on" or
"hot recipes" or whatever. Drupal is built with community contribution in
mind and stands at a halfway house between ye olde forum and the modern
understanding of 'social networking site'.

b) Elgg [http://elgg.org]
Alternatively if you want all the trappings of web 2.0 and more Facebookish
features like elaborate user profiles; open, private or invite-only groups,
events and all sorts of other generic content types and interactions we've
come to expect of social networking, and advanced custom content types and
quick hacking aren't important to you, I'd go with Elgg.

I would add that Drupal has a huge community of users contributing modules
and plugins, and are very responsive to cries for help and advice on
anything Drupal-related; and also that while Elgg is incredibly quick to
style and present as your own, it's much harder to do any serious tweaking
and customisation.

Regards,
Barney Carroll

barney.carroll at gmail.com