[thelist] spammers/spambots

Barry Woolgar barry at burnthebook.co.uk
Mon Jul 27 10:22:11 CDT 2009

Hello

Although it's generalising to an extent, I believe bots will harvest your
form's details and then just start blind posting common field names and
values to the form's action.

Based on this assumption we've had a fair bit of success with a text field
named 'url' (or something similarly juicy) hidden with CSS, a label of 'Not
for public use' (for people with CSS disabled), and a value of 'blank'. Then
our form processor checks $_POST['url'] is set and has the value of 'blank'.
Anything else is spam or a rather dense form filler who will be displayed
the form again. I can't remember if this was originally suggested here or on
A List Apart, but I've yet to see a spambot get around it.

For what it's worth, I don't think blacklists are useful as they'll always
find a way around them, or you'll spend ages tweaking and tweaking.

Hope that helps.

Barry