[thelist] common marketing/advertising misconception (was RE: spammers/spambots)

Barney Carroll barney.carroll at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 11:59:25 CDT 2009

Joel,

I have no evidence to support this, but at one point I worked as a designer
at an online gaming marketing agency where thousands upon thousands of
dollars were spent on fake opinions on forums, well-placed pages of
repetitive, seemingly idiotic hard-sell crap, and lists of email addresses
to send unconvincing crap to. I have also designed book covers for "MAKE
3,000,000$ AN HOUR USING THE INTERNET GUARANTEED"-type books, advertised
online through extremely similar, lowest-common denominator hard-sell
nonsense that is then littered across the interwebs in bulk. In both
circumstances I was very well-paid, and so was everyone else involved —
although this isn't work I'd be happy doing again.

There is massive business in selling to the dim, desperate, & doomed.

Regards,
Barney Carroll

barney.carroll at gmail.com
07594 506 381