[thelist] CAPTCHA

Jeremy Weiss eccentric.one at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 20:38:33 CDT 2009

Hassan Schroeder wrote:

> I'd think one person's "house" might be another's "home", or "building",

I wondered about that myself. But what about simple color/shape
combinations. 'red triangle' or 'blue circle'. PHP (and most languages, I
assume) could easily draw the image on the fly. And, it would be quite
simple to solve... not sure if it would work though. Hmm, if I ever build a
site targeted to children, I'll have to try that.

Hassan Schroeder also wrote:

> Rorschach test anyone? :-)

Hmm...maybe not as a CAPTCHA, but... Facebook app, anyone? :)

Flavia Tarzwell (FayeC) wrote:

> Securimage (http://www.phpcaptcha.org/) uses a list of words you can
> populate yourself.

I've used this on several sites and it seems to be a good middle ground
between 'working' and 'legible'. As an added bonus, you can make the word
list related to the topic of the site. For example, if it's a real estate
agent selling beach front properties, make a list of words like ocean, beach
ball, wave, sunburn, etc.

A few days ago I came across one I hadn't seen before. It would give a
sentence and ask you to complete it. For example:
"People live in a ho???" and it required you to type in the 'use'.  I
actually missed it the first time b/c I typed the whole word instead of just
the missing letters. But, it was simple and didn't cause me to strain myself
looking hallucinogenic images.

-jeremy