[thelist] general query about dedicated hosting

Jason Handby jason.handby at corestar.co.uk
Mon Aug 17 11:52:00 CDT 2009

> > is there such a thing as dedicated hosting where they'll provide
> recommended
> > third party apps which they'll they support, so I can add a forum,
> blog,
> > whatever, but know it's not going to blow up in my face?
> >

> I'm not aware of a host that will support 3rd party apps. But, if you
> want
> the whole box to yourself without having to actually maintain the it,
> then
> you're looking for 'managed hosting'. You don't usually get root
> access, as
> the hosting company is responsible for keeping it running.

I have a client with a Rackspace Managed Windows server -- as well as
Rackspace looking after the OS, they also have MS SQL Server provided
and maintained for a monthly fee. (Rackspace offer other applications
too, although you'd have to ask them for details.) My client has full
Administrator server access via Remote Desktop.

I'm guessing if Rackspace do this then other Managed hosting companies
do too?

Jason