[thelist] FW: Link Rot

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Tue Aug 18 08:58:08 CDT 2009

Mark Groen noted:

>>Wouldn't really call it simple, but the Apache mod_rewrite module can handle
>>link rot and guessing that Sun and Windows have similar capability.

Hi Mark,

To some extent, yes.  If a systemic change is made to the storage directory structure, then I believe you can add a mod_rewrite rule to restore the old broken links and prevent them from losing seo relevance.

What Apache doesn't tell you, (AFAIK, anyway), is that the links are broken in the first place.  For that you need a small app to trawl through all of the links in your CMS (or CMS-like) system.  What my suggestion does is put all of those links in a single place.  That makes it very easy to trawl through looking for things that are broken.

I'll agree that once you find those broken links there might certainly be an opportunity to use mod_rewrite to correct them.

HTH,
RonL.