[thelist] CAPTCHA

Duncan Hill dunkaz at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 17:00:54 CDT 2009

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 22:23:58 +0100, Chris Price
<chris.price at choctaw.co.uk> wrote:

> As with previous posts suggesting this approach, it sounds like a no
> brainer.
>
> But where is the [anecdotal] evidence that it works and why don't the
> big boys use it?
>
> Just asking the questions. I am of little brain and need enlightening.

I've tried the technique on a fairly simple site, and to be honest, the
site never attracted a lot of spam anyway so it is hard to be objective on
the results.

Reflections on why the 'Big Boys' don't use it, and applying the 'kiss'
principles ... maybe it just doesn't fuel egos in quite the same way as a
complex system could.
That might even be a big advantage for the smaller sites, there is less
reason for the bots to start developing counter measures if the Big Boys
aren't in the game.

There is less risk of this method tripping itself up on
anti-discriminatory laws as there is nothing potentially that the user
needs to do.

Duncan