[thelist] Differing SQL Server Versions and Backups

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Wed Aug 19 21:16:17 CDT 2009

DTS replaced with SISS - you could use that...

Alternatively restore the database backups, but to a different name, and then DTS in the data from the temporary database to your permanent database.

Cheers
Ken

-----Original Message-----
From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org [mailto:thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Jay Turley
Sent: Thursday, 20 August 2009 2:14 AM
To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject: [thelist] Differing SQL Server Versions and Backups

Hi all-

A long-time client (heck my recent employer 'till I went freelance a few months ago) is using a proprietary web application I built and continue to maintain.

The database used is SQL Server.

Our in-house development and staging servers are SQL Server 2000 SP4.
Frequently I would use DTS to pull down the production data from our web host, as they too used SQL Server 2000. This was critical to performing bug analysis and fixes without affecting production data or code.

Recently they upgraded to SQL Server 2005. As a result, DTS no longer works.
I can get backups of the database using a tool they provide called myLittleBackup.

However, I have no idea how to get this data into our testing and staging servers since they are running SQL Server 2000 instead of SQL Server 2005.

Any ideas? I'm kind of stumped.