[thelist] Blog URLs - single blog domain or multiple?

Randal Rust randalrust at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 05:27:01 CDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 1:43 AM, Gersten, John<JGERSTEN at lchb.com> wrote:

> It's not that blogs are bad at all, quite the contrary. The concerns relate to possibly shooting ourselves in the collective digital foot vis a vis search engine friendliness/optimization and to potentially confusing some visitors.

If the issue is around the idea of multiple blogs, then consider
giving each of them a unique name...

www.example.com/aviation-law/
www.example.com/environmental-law/

...not only does this provide a usable path for the person visiting
the site, it stuffs keywords into the URL. I have not seen any
statistics, but my thought would be that a subdomain is a bit more
difficult for someone to remember if they don't have it written down.

My experience has always been that if you do right by usability, you
will do right by organic search engine rankings.

--
Randal Rust
R.Squared Communications