[thelist] Differing SQL Server Versions and Backups

Jay Turley jayturley at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 14:43:03 CDT 2009

Thanks, Ken and Anthony!

So, if I'm hearing you fellows right, what you are saying is:

1) Install SQL Server Express 2005 on my dev machine
2) Use SQL Studio Manager Express to load the SQL Server backup from my
webhost into SSE 2005

It's step 3 that gets me. My ideal would be to be able to get that data into
SQL Server 2000 on my dev machine. But from what you have said it seems like
I should

3) Connect my dev/staging apps to the new SQL Server Express 2005 I
installed in (1) above, or

3) Somehow get my data from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2000 (write a
quick data xfer app?)

Thanks for any further thoughts!

-Jay