[thelist] Re: cross browser <div> float weirdness

Symeon Charalabides symeon at systasis.com
Fri Aug 21 04:29:16 CDT 2009

Hi John,

>  > IE on windows, however, barfs. See how the divs containing the thumbnails
>  > and their descriptive <p> are float: left, clear: right. That should make
>  > them wrap, right? So when they fill a row and run into the end of the
>  > element they're in, they wrap to the next row.
>  >
>  > In IE though, there's a fourth image that displays underneath the right
>  > column.
>  >
>  > Why?

Because it's IE. I've found it takes less time to figure out how to fix IE's quirks than figure out why they happen. But IE's handling of floating elements is notorious.

>  > http://mauiestaterental.com/estates-villas/wailea-beach-villas/Golden-Mandarin-D102/Image-Gallery.html
>  >
>  > I'm mostly a PHP guy and not a cross-browser limitation expert.
>  >
>  > Anyone care to give me a hand troubleshooting?

I would try specifying the width of  .contentpaneopen and/or .maincol in pixels (it's set to about 640 due to the layout of the rest of the page anyway). That has a pretty good chance of getting IE to play ball.

>  > --
>  > John Corry
>  > PHP developer - 3by400, Inc
>  > http://www.3by400.com

Symeon Charalabides (cosmopolite trainee)