[thelist] selling a domain name

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Wed Sep 2 00:05:08 CDT 2009

Hi Joel,

Joel Canfield wrote:
> Looking for pointers I can pass along to a friend about selling a domain
> name [...] Any suggestions for making a rational valuation,

Impossible.  Worth what the market will bear, and all that.

> services to use/not use,

I've used, and wholeheartedly recommend Sedo.com for selling domain
names, should he decide to sell it for any significant sum in an
arm-length transaction (i.e. to someone he does not know, trust and.or
have recourse against, should try to pull a fast one).  They have the
only system I've seen for correctly brokering domain transfers in a way
that protects both the buyer and seller.  They actually do what other
escrow services claim to do, but usually fail to do (at least in the
case of domain names), which is technically and irrevocably assume
control of both the funds and the domain name before releasing either to
the parties of the sale.

> things he ought to think about, avoid, or plant in the basement?

Sounds like this is a domain with a lot of personal sentimental value
that he might really regret letting go of on down the road.  Why not use
Network Solutions 99 year domain registration service, park some
archival content on it and wait for the revival (or the reunion tour)
years from now?  It might be worth much more in the future -- Sedo also
lets you list a domain for sale (along with its site/content) and allow
bidders to come to him, for as long as it takes to get an offer he feels
is fair?

hth,

-dave