[thelist] .htaccess redirect

Mohan Arun L marun2 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 00:04:19 CDT 2009

>>I tried putting the override in this directory's .htaccess but it didn't
work. When I put it in the root directory it overrode the error pages
for the entire site.

This is more clear before explaining the context of how you want it to work.

You would use
ErrorDocument 404 index.php

in that particular directory's htaccess. The newsletter would be
always named newsletter.php or something like that, so if someone
clicks on newsletter.php link they will always end up at the most
recent newsletter page. You would have to update the page you call the
'directory index' (index.php) to say something like if you reached
here then it is an error, this is the way to subscribe to our
newsletter.
ErrorDocument paths are relative to document root, so if it doesnt
work this way, then check your DocumentRoot definition.
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/core.html#errordocument

"Directory Index" is different - it is the page that gets returned
when client requests for a directory - that is with a trailing slash.
It is different from 404.
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_dir.html#directoryindex