[thelist] How to check if a domain has hosting

Roberto Gorjão roberto at asenseofdesign.com
Sun Sep 13 00:41:22 CDT 2009

Hassan,

1- I don't think your tone is appropriate. The objective here is to help
each other.

2- If you never heard of "frame forwarding" maybe it is because you're
not working with these things for as long as I do and you didn't
actually read the first question on this thread. Google it and whatever
yourself.

3- Yes, DNS server addresses have nothing to do with this and you didn't
imply they did, but they were mentioned by Tony, so I thought it would
make things clearer.

4- What you said first was that Krystian could know it all by the IPs
and you implied they would be the same. He can't and they wouldn't,
that's what I said. If Krystian has the login data he can know which
ones are hosted, but he never said he had. He only said that he got FTP
access and that only later, and even after that he seemed not sure of
what was really happening and if there were frame forwardings in place.

5- The 301 redirect HTTP response will say to him if any of the IPs is
redirected, which I had already said before, and the frame forwarding
may be recognized by the source code, as Mohan had already said too. But
these are not entirely conclusive: the 301 redirect HTTP response is
commonly used by hosting companies, but some of them and some of the
registrars often use status code 302. You can check it yourself: I have
santosebandeira.com redirected, at the registrar, to santosbandeira.com,
and the status code is 302.

6- I think that if Krystian doesn't get 301 or 302 status responses on
some domains and their pages do not show framesets at the source, he
probably can safely assume that those are the hosted domains. He asked
if we are sure... I am not a network engineer and I know there are
plenty of other status codes so I am not sure. If you are, go ahead and
assure him.

Roberto